Last revised May 11, 2016.
If you are located outside of the United States, please note that the Website is hosted on our computer servers in the United States. Therefore, your information may be processed and stored in the United States. As a result, United States federal and state governments, courts, or law enforcement or regulatory agencies may be able to obtain disclosure of your information through laws applicable in the United States. Your use of the Service or your submission of any information to us will constitute your consent to the transfer of your information outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may provide for different data protection rules than in your country.
Information We Collect
You may voluntarily provide us with information, including:
- Your name, email address, date of birth, profile name, profile photo, height, weight, occupation, physical characteristics, ethnicity, personal interests, relationships and preferences, residence information, listing address and details for residential and other properties, rooms, accommodations, travel plans and information, third party social networking or other service user names, credit card numbers and other information, and a password that you create to register to use the Service;
- Information you provide when you contact us (for example, regarding support or employment opportunities); and
- Any other information you voluntarily provide us with in registering and using the Service.
We automatically collect other information about you, including:
- An identifier that is unique to the device on which you install the App and some device identifiers may be persistent device identifiers, as well as certain software and hardware information about your device;
- Operating system;
- Browser type;
- Mobile network information;
- The model and serial number of your mobile device;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- Domain name of your Internet service provider;
- Your current geographic location;
- A history of your prior geographic locations;
- The Service pages that you visit and the date and time of your visits;
- Information regarding your access to and use of the App; and
- Aggregated information that cannot be used to specifically identify you when you visit or use the Service.
We may collect information about you from:
- third party social networking services;
- commercially available sources;
- our affiliates; and
- our third party business partners.
- We may supplement any of the information we collect from or about you with other information.
Prior to your installation of the App, we may have already collected information about the other apps that you have used via our Advertising Partners or other Third Parties.
Use of Your Information
We use the information that we collect for the following purposes, including:
- The purposes for which you provided it;
- To identify you as a user of the Service;
- To improve the Service, including personalizing the Service by presenting content and promotional information and recommendations tailored to you (please see Information We Collect above);
- To develop new services;
- To make travel-related recommendations and enable travel-related features;
- To provide the services you request, including the Service and any third party service;
- To respond to your inquiries related to support, employment opportunities or other requests;
- To contact you with information, including promotional information and recommendations, that we believe will be of interest to you including, but not limited to, based on information you provide in your profile such as community identifications (including those related to health conditions and gender identity), sex preferences, and safer-sex practices;
- To create de-identified data, which we may use for any purpose (e.g., research);
- To analyze the Service;
- To compile aggregate data for internal and external business purposes;
- To run advertising via our advertising display partners on third party websites and mobile applications;
- To prevent fraudulent transactions, monitor against theft and otherwise protect users and our business;
- To administer and troubleshoot the Service; and
How Your Information is Disclosed
- Profile. The name and profile of a user of the Service, as well as other information relating to the use of the Service (such as location information which may include any or all of the following: GPS coordinates; listing address and details for residential and other properties; travel plans; trip information); and online status, may be visible to other users. DO NOT INCLUDE INFORMATION IN YOUR PROFILE AND OTHERWISE VOLUNTARILY PROVIDE INFORMATION WHEN USING THE SERVICE THAT YOU WANT TO KEEP PRIVATE (FOR EXAMPLE, LOCATION AND TRAVEL PLANS AND INFORMATION). App users can use the search feature in the App to search for other users by different profile criteria, like profile name, age, height, weight, geographic location, physical characteristics, ethnicity, personal interests, relationships or preferences or residence information. Your profile information will be used for these searches. The App user interface may include a feature to make certain items of profile information non-public. However, even if you choose to make non-public certain items of your profile information or other information if and as permitted by the user interface, sophisticated users who use the App in an unauthorized manner may nevertheless be able to obtain this information. YOU HEREBY CONSENT TO THE DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION AND INFORMATION YOU OTHERWISE VOLUNTARILY PROVIDE WHEN USING THE SERVICE (FOR EXAMPLE, LOCATION AND TRAVEL PLANS AND INFORMATION) AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.
A user of the Service may voluntarily provide information, content and materials (such as pictures, reviews, ratings, ideas, notes, concepts, or creative suggestions) from themself and other users ("User Submissions") to the Service. We make no representations and undertake no obligations as to the security or use of information you voluntarily include when providing User Submissions. Before submitting content, please read our TOS and Profile Guidelines carefully.
We reserve the right to remove any such content for any reason or no reason, including without limitation if in our sole opinion such information or material violates, or may violate, any applicable law or our TOS, Profile Guidelines or End User License Agreement or to protect or defend our rights or property or those of any third party. We also reserve the right to remove information upon the request of any third party.
- Distance Information. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN YOU USE THE APP, AS A DEFAULT, INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DISTANCE FROM OTHER USERS IS PUBLIC AND OTHER USERS OF THE APP CAN SEE THIS INFORMATION WITHIN YOUR PROFILE. App users can use the search feature in the App to search for other users by distance. Information about your distance from other users will be used for these searches. This information is public, but the App may include a feature to hide or change the accuracy of this information. However, even if you choose to hide the display of this information, sophisticated users who use the App in an unauthorized manner may nevertheless be able to determine your location. YOU HEREBY CONSENT TO THE DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DISTANCE FROM OTHER USERS AS DESCRIBED ABOVE.
- Third Party Service Providers and Business Partners. We may use third party service providers and business partners to provide the Service or to perform functions in connection with the Service, including without limitation, monitoring compliance by users with and enforcement of our Profile Guidelines. We may share information about you that they need to perform their functions, but they may not use it for other purposes. For example, we share your device identifier and demographic information with our advertising display and analytics partners. Our advertising display partners may use this information to run advertising campaigns on third party websites and mobile applications. These third parties may also collect information directly from you and about you from third party sources (including without limitation, third party mobile applications). Please see Cookies, Web Beacons, Persistent Device Identifiers, Advertising Identifiers, Do Not Track and Other Technologies below. YOU HEREBY CONSENT TO THE DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION FROM YOU AND ABOUT YOU AS DESCRIBED ABOVE AND HEREIN.
- Third Parties for Their Promotional Purposes. We may share your information with third parties for their promotional purposes. Please see Your Choices Regarding Your Information below.
- Business Changes. If we become involved in a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, joint venture, securities offering, bankruptcy, reorganization, liquidation, dissolution, or other transaction or if the ownership of all or substantially all of our business otherwise changes, we may share or transfer your information to a third party or parties in connection therewith.
Investigations and Law.
Regardless of any choices you make regarding your information (as described below), we may disclose information about you to third parties to:
- Enforce or apply our TOS, Profile Guidelines or End User License Agreement.
- Comply with law, in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process or cooperate with government or law enforcement officials or private parties, including laws outside of your country of residence.
- Establish or exercise our rights to defend against legal claims.
- Protect against legal liability.
- To investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected illegal activities, suspected fraud, the rights, reputation, safety or property of us, users or others, violation of our TOS, Profile Guidelines, policies or agreements or as otherwise required by law.
- Protect our rights, reputation, safety, and property, or that of users or others.
- Aggregated Information. We may share aggregated information relating to visitors to and users of the Service with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties.
- Cookies, Web Beacons, Persistent Device Identifiers, Advertising Identifiers, Do Not Track and Other Technologies. Please see Cookies, Web Beacons, Persistent Device Identifiers, Advertising Identifiers, Do Not Track and Other Technologies below.
Cookies, Web Beacons, Persistent Device Identifiers, Advertising Identifiers, Do Not Track and Other Technologies
Cookies are small bits of information that are transferred to and stored in separate files within your computer’s browser. You can instruct your browser to stop accepting cookies. But if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use all portions or all functionality of the Service.
- Persistent cookies remain on the visitor’s computer after the browser has been closed.
- Session cookies exist only during a visitor’s online session and disappear from the visitor’s computer when they close the browser software.
- Web Beacons. Web beacons are small strings of code that provide a method for delivering a graphic image on a Web page or in an email message for the purpose of transferring data. You can disable the ability of Web beacons to capture information by blocking cookies.
- Persistent Device Identifiers. Persistent device identifiers are unique strings that are associated with the mobile device that you use to connect to the Service. Persistent device identifiers may be modified or disabled by sophisticated users.
- Advertising Identifiers. Advertising identifiers are unique strings associated with your mobile device provided by the operating system. Advertising identifiers may be modified or disabled by users in the operating system settings. Please see Do Not Track below for more information about how to configure these settings.
Third parties may collect personally identifiable information about an individual user's online activities over time and across different Internet services when a user uses the Service.
Below are links to resources for opting out of different types of online tracking and targeting.
Ads appearing on the Service may be delivered to users by our advertising partners, who may set cookies, persistent device identifiers and advertising identifiers. These cookies, persistent device identifiers and advertising identifiers allow the ad server to recognize your computer or mobile device each time they send you an online advertisement to compile information about you or others who use your computer or mobile device. This information allows ad networks to, among other things, deliver advertisements that they believe will be of most interest to you. For information about how to opt out of receiving behavioral advertisements from our advertising partners, please visit http://networkadvertising.org/choices/#completed.
To opt-out of ads shown by Google AdMob within the App, please visit http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/html/mobile-about.html.
To opt-out of Millennial Media’s use of data for interest-based advertising, please visit http://lp.mydas.mobi/rich/foundation/opt-out.php.
To opt-out of MoPub's use of data for interest-based advertising, please visit http://www.mopub.com/legal/mopub-ads-privacy-policy and https://dev.twitter.com/mopub/ui/opting-out-interest-based-advertising.
To opt-out of Smaato's use of data for interest-based advertising, please visit http://www.smaato.com/privacy/.
To opt-out of AppNexus's use of data for interest-based advertising, please visit https://www.appnexus.com/en/company/platform-privacy-policy#choices.
To opt-out of Microsoft pubCenter's use of data for interest-based advertising, please visit https://choice.microsoft.com/en-US.
If you are using the App on an Apple iOS device, Apple Inc.’s iAd network states that users may opt out of behavioral advertising by visiting http://oo.apple.com from your iOS device.
To opt-out of AdWill's use of data for interest-based advertising, please visit http://www.adwill.co/opt-out.html.
To opt-out of targeted ads shown by SCRUFF Benevolads, please email email@example.com with your SCRUFF email address and the subject line "Benevolads Opt-Out".
Do Not Track
At this time, we do not respond to "do not track" signals sent from Web browsers.
Apple iOS and Google Android devices provide the ability for users to enable a "do not track" setting that disables your advertising identifier. If the “do not track” setting is disabled, we may record when a user installs the App, and whether or not this action was the result of a tap on an ad outside of the App. We may also run targeted advertising on third party applications via our advertising display partners. For users who have enabled the "do not track" setting in iOS or Android, this data will not be collected.
Please note that the “do not track” setting may not be available on all operating systems or versions of the App. The “do not track” settings requires SCRUFF 4.5 for iOS or greater and iOS 6 or greater, or SCRUFF 4.5 for Android or greater and Google Play Services 4.0 or greater.
To enable the "do not track" setting on iOS, visit: https://support.scruff.com/entries/41774960-How-do-I-limit-ad-tracking-in-iOS-
To enable the "do not track" setting on Android, visit: https://support.scruff.com/entries/41339454-How-do-I-enable-the-do-not-track-ad-privacy-setting-in-Android-
We may update these instructions periodically as new information becomes available from Apple, Google, and other Operating System manufacturers.
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. No Internet, email or mobile application transmission or method of electronic storage is ever fully secure or error free. Email or other communications sent through the Service may not be secure. You should use caution whenever submitting information through the Service and take special care in deciding which information you provide us with.
Third Party Websites and Mobile Applications
Your Choices Regarding Your Information
You have choices regarding the use of your information on the Service.
- Changing Your Information and Privacy Settings. You may make changes to your information, including keeping your information accurate as well as your privacy settings, by editing your profile in the App. You may request deletion of your information by us, but please note that we may be legally required to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete any information, it may be deleted from the active database, but could remain in our archives. Please note that we retain User Submissions (for example, your messages) in our archives and that User Submissions may be accessible by other users of the Service even after you have requested deletion of your information by us.
- Email Communications. When you receive promotional email communications from us, you can indicate a preference to stop receiving promotional email communications from us by following the “unsubscribe” instructions in a promotional email communication from us. However, we may send you email communications relating to the Service.
- Cookies, Web Beacons, Persistent Device Identifiers, Advertising Identifiers, Do Not Track and Other Technologies. Please see Cookies, Web Beacons, Persistent Device Identifiers, Advertising Identifiers, Do Not Track and Other Technologies above.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals under age 18. If you are under the age of 18, please do not submit any personal information through the Service. If you have reason to believe that we may have accidentally received personal information from an individual under age 18, please contact us immediately by filing a ticket at http://support.scruff.com.